Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Echos They Left Behind

Well, first and foremost, I'd like to apologize for the epic fail I had on my November 1 post.  I mistakenly said that November 1 was Guy Fawkes Day, when it's actually November 5.  A reader let me know about my error, and for that, thanks Swissy, for bringing it to my attention.  Now then... onto the creepy bits!
Finally, after so many years, I was able to see and to walk through the cemetery at Danvers State Hospital.  This past Saturday, Mum and I went to search for the resting spot of so many lost souls.  I'd gone to the Danvers grounds with Amusmental and Tergg a few times, and I'd thought I'd looked everywhere.  I couldn't find the cemetery anywhere, and I started to fear that the Avalon company had gotten rid of it.  
So, Saturday, with a cappuccino in hand, Mum and I headed off into the unknown.  Hawthorne Hill was so cold and windy, I thought Sandy had come back for a reminder of how horrible the weekend before had been...  We looked up and down the entire grounds, and couldn't see a thing.  More than discouraged, I used my phone to see if I could find any information on the place, and low and behold, I actually did!  Thanks to Odd Things I've Seen, Mum and I were able to finally located the secret cemetery.
If you want to know how to get there, here's an explanation (as best as I can explain...)

1. Looking at the Kirkbride, there is a little "monument" to your right. (It looks like a large podium, kinda...)
2. Start walking down the path from the monument, away from the Kirkbride building.
3. Stop walking when you're roughly right were Avalon Danvers ends, and Aria Condominiums begin.  There's a tiny, almost secret path down the hill there.
4. Head down the path, through overgrown weeds and what not, across a cornfield, and then finally... 
5. There's a rather large rock, engraved with the announcement as to what you're actually looking at.  Walk past that, and you've found it!

I was so happy.  I'd waited so long to see it, and I was finally standing in the middle of everything.  It was a bit overwhelming, honestly.  I took as many pictures as I could, and there's one that people might not understand.  There's a picture of a random stick.  It's not random, though.  After looking all over the grounds at least three times in total, I came back with Mum and on that one day, I just happened to notice a stick.  It was pointing away from the Kirkbride building, and for the hell of it, just because I could, I followed it.  I'm not Zac from Ghost Adventures, so I won't go into a huge speech, but I do think it was helping us along.  
There's so many more pictures, so I've made them their own page, which can easily be found towards the side here.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them!!

Six

No comments:

Post a Comment